Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Flako's Takos: Crunchy Taco Review




My search for the best crispy taco in South Sac kicked off today even further south than South Sac - at Flako's Takos in Elk Grove.  It's off of Hwy 99 on Elk Grove Blvd, just to the right when you exit.  I heard it through the grapevine that they offer a crunchy taco for $2.50.  They do.  But I'll skip it next time.  The good news is that the trip wasn't all bad.  There's something else on their menu that I would happily order again.



Let's start with the purpose of my excursion: to review Flako's crunchy taco.  When it came out, the shell was perfectly formed.  Too perfect, as if it were a small pre-made taco shell like you get at Taco Bell or buy at the grocery store.  I don't know for a fact if it were a processed, pre-packaged shell.  It could have started out as a soft corn tortilla, then baked in some kind of taco holder or mold.  It didn't have the flavor of a freshly fried corn tortilla so I doubt that it was.  And there was not a hint of oil on it.  I suspect the tortilla was baked there, and then the filling was spooned in.  If I'm wrong, please let me know somebody.  Oh, and yes, it was crunchy.  I had it with the carnitas filling, which was good



Over all, the crunchy taco didn't offer the wow factor that you will find eating at, say, Cactus Taquería - which sets the standard for crsipy fried tacos, in my opinion.  The taco I ate was something I have easily made at home with store bought corn tortillas, my own taco holder, and my oven.  Actually, I like the way mine come out because I spoon the filling in before the taco is baked so the tortilla absorbs the flavor and juices of the meat filling.  But baking the taco just doesn't give you the flavors and textures that frying does.  That's the reason for my search.  Oh well, to each their own.



But wait, let's end on a positive note.  I wasn't at Flako's for their soft corn tortilla taco, but as you can see by the pictures, I ordered one anyway with carne asada filling.  It was tiny (see the pic below), but delicious.  The carne asada was well seasoned, and complimented the fresh corn tortilla taste.   Ordering three or four of those with a bottle of beer would be a great way to pass the time!  And they are not expensive, currently $1.89 a piece.
  

Of course there is more on Flako's menu.  And did I say their complimentary chips and salsa were nice? 





In the end, however, my first search for great crispy fried tacos in South Sac ended in failure.  Where to next?

Update:  Next, the South Sac Crew will be heading over to Taco Fresco Burgers and Fries, on Florin, as the search for the Best Crispy Taco in South Sac continues!










No comments:

Post a Comment