Friday, June 17, 2016

Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill - No Crispy Fried Tacos

Not a Contender for Best Crispy Tacos


South Sac Blog's search for the best crispy fried tacos in South Sacramento continued yesterday at Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill.  Alas, Rubio's is not even a contender, because they don't offer crispy fried tacos.

As I blogged here, when I was growing up, my mother, who was Mexican-American, made tacos by wrapping the filling in a soft corn taco and then frying it in a skillet. That's how her mother made them. When prepared properly, the corn tortilla is slightly crispy, but not anything like the dreadful hard shell taco sold in boxes.  Because it was soft, the tortilla absorbs the juices and flavors of the seasoned meat filling and oil, making it moist and soft inside - and muy delicioso!

The problem is that although I have lived here in South Sac for 13 years now, I had not stumbled upon an establishment that sells those delicious crispy fried tacos like my dear mother used to make. So we have devoted the resources of South Sac Blog to identify any local restaurants and taquerias that do prepare them that way.

Rubio's is famous for its fish tacos so we were anxious to see if crispy fried tacos were also on the menu.  We went to the Rubio's in South Sacramento, on Bruceville.  It's right behind the Target.




We strolled to the counter and inquired about Rubio's tacos.  No, we were told, there are no crispy fried tacos made there.  But something called the "'Grilled Gourmet Taco' has toasted cheese, and offers a bit of crunch, so why not try that?"  I agreed and ordered the two taco plate (comes with rice and beans), with my second taco being the "Classic Taco" for comparison.  South Sac crew members ordered various soft tortilla fish tacos.

The lunch crowd was there consisting of professional types from the nearby medical offices.  The atmosphere was pleasant and welcoming.  We found some empty tables and waited for our orders.

Here's my taco plate:


The Grilled Gourmet Taco offers a blend of mozzarella, Monterey jack, and white cheddar heated directly on a hot flat grill until it’s melted and toasted.  This cheese mixture is then layed on a warm, stone-ground corn tortilla to create the foundation for the rest of the taco.  The filling has your choice of meat, bacon, avocado, cilantry, onion and two chile sauces.  I wish the grilled cheese bed had been a little thicker.  I thought the chile sauces tended to drown out the flavors of the other items.

The Classic Taco has fresh guacamole, cheese, salsa fresca, lettuce, and is drizzled with chipotle sauce.



Quite honestly, I thought my tacos were okay.



I didn't care much for the large drizzling of sauce.  I thought it made the tacos too wet and runny.  I had terrible heartburn an hour later and I suspect it came from the chipotle sauce.  But everyone is different and your tummies may vary.  I left disappointed, because I'm searching for a taco prepared in a particular way, and didn't find one.  However . . .

I must emphasize that my reaction is not a reflection on the other items on Rubio's menu.  There are seafood tacos which crew members raved about.  It's obvious Rubio's has made an effort to infuse its seafood offerings with rich flavors.  The fish and shrimp have a nice seared exterior with delicate interior.  The fish tacos come with traditional cabbage or slaw on top, and are made with Mahi Mahi, Tilapia, or Salmon.    





Also on the Rubio's menu are seafood burritos, regular burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and other items.  The Rubio's down on Bruceville offers a pleasant place to sit down and enjoy lunch or dinner. We didn't see any unhappy faces.  I would stick to their famous fish tacos if I returned.

So there it is.  In our search for the best fried crispy fried tacos in South Sac, the amazing Taco Fresco Burgers & Fries holds on to its early lead.

We're going to venture back into the wonderfully diverse heart of South Sac for our next review.

No comments:

Post a Comment